"QUINTON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, county Gloucester, 6 miles from Stratford-on-Avon, its post town, and the same distance from the Campden station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near Meen Hill, on the summit of which is a Saxon camp with double intrenchments, and near which many skeletons, swords, and warlike implements have been dug up.
The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Admington, and was given by Henry II. to Polesworth Nunnery. Near two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder pasture and woodland. A portion of the impropriate tithes belong to the Dean and Chapter of Worcester, and the remainder to Magdalen College, Oxford. The former were commuted for a rent-charge of £63, and the latter for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1772.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £70, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church, dedicated to St. Swithin, is a stone structure, with a spired tower containing six bells. It is supposed to have been erected by the Lacies soon after the Norman conquest. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. The president and fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford, are lords of the manor."
"ADMINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Quinton, hundred of Kiftsgate, in the county of Gloucester, 5 miles to the N.E. of Chipping Camden. Admington House is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Quinton, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Quinton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Quinton to another place.
- The parish of Quinton was transferred from Gloucestershire to Warwickshire in 1935. The area it encompassed is usually found on present day maps labelled as Upper Quinton and Lower Quinton, possibly to avoid confusion with another place named Quinton further north, in the West Midlands.
You can see the administrative areas in which Quinton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP186467 (Lat/Lon: 52.118648, -1.729358), Quinton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)