"RANGEWORTHY, a chapelry in the parish of Thornbury, and lower division of the hundred of Thornbury, county Gloucester, 3¾ miles S.W. of Wickwar, and 4 S.W. of Thornbury. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road from Wotton-under-Edge to Bristol, and near the Bristol and Gloucester railway. The manufacture of hats was formerly carried on to a considerable extent, but the village is now wholly agricultural. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Thornbury. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, contains one bell. It has been recently rebuilt. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a place of worship."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Rangeworthy, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- Transcription by Leslie Mahler from Rangeworthy Bishops' Transcripts, 1575 - 1640
- The transcription of the section for Rangeworthy from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rangeworthy to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rangeworthy has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST692858 (Lat/Lon: 51.570562, -2.445917), Rangeworthy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)