Hide

STAUNTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"STAUNTON, a parish in the hundred of St. Briavell's, county Gloucester, 2 miles from Coleford, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Monmouth. The village, which is small, is situated to the S. of the river Wye, in Dean Forest. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The substratum contains iron ore, of which mines were formerly in operation. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £149. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a tower and five bells. The parochial charities produce about £32 per annum. There are a National school and an almshouse for four people, founded in 1686."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]