"SIDE, a parish in the hundred of Rapsgate, county Gloucester, 7 miles N.W. of Cirencester, its post town, and 7 E. of Painswick. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated near the Roman Ermine Street. The surface is hilly. The soil consists of stonebrash and gravel, with a rocky subsoil. There is no village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £126. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small stone edifice, with a tower and three bells. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. John Hall, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Syde, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Side (Syde) from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Syde to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Syde has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO956112 (Lat/Lon: 51.799325, -2.065429), Syde which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)