Hide

TAYNTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"TAYNTON, a parish in the hundred of Botloe, county Gloucester, 6 miles N.W. of Gloucester, its post town, and 3 S.E. of Newent. The village is situated on the turnpike road from Newent to Huntley and Newnham. The soil consists of a loamy clay. The parish is noted for its perry and cider. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £321, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, has a low square turret. It was rebuilt by an ordinance passed in 1647. There are two infant schools. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. Taynton House is the principal residence. The manorial rights belonging to this parish are extinct."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]