"TIBBERTON, a parish in the hundred of Duchy_of_Lancaster, county Gloucester, 5 miles N.W. of Gloucester, its post town, and 4 N. of Oake-street railway station, on the South Wales line of railway. The village is situated on the Newent road, near the Hereford and Gloucester canal. The soil consists of a deep loamy clay, with a subsoil of marl. A stream called the Tibberton brook falls into the river Leddon in the adjacent parish of Rudford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £350. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, contains several monuments. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There is a British school and a chapel for the Wesleyans. Tibberton Court is the principal residence. W. P. Price, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Tibberton, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Tibberton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tibberton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tibberton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO752216 (Lat/Lon: 51.89233, -2.361459), Tibberton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)