"TWIGWORTH, a hamlet in the parishes of Gloucester St. Mary-de-Lode and Gloucester St. Catherine, upper division of Dudstone hundred, county Gloucester, 2½ miles N.E. of Gloucester, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Tewkesbury. It adjoins the township of Longford, and is intersected by the high road from Gloucester to Tewkesbury. It enjoys all the privileges of a parish, and is included within the borough of Gloucester. The soil consists of a black mould upon a subsoil of gravel. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £80, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Matthew, was erected in 1842. There is a National school for both sexes."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Twigworth, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Twigworth from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Twigworth to another place.
- "Ecclesiastical parish formed from St Mary de Lode and St Catherine, Gloucester, and Longford, 1844."
(Ref: Guide to the Parish Records of the City of Bristol and the County of Gloucester; I. Gray & E. Ralph, 1963)
You can see the administrative areas in which Twigworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO848224 (Lat/Lon: 51.899853, -2.222071), Twigworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)