"ULEY, a parish in the upper division of Berkeley hundred, county Gloucester, 2½ miles N.E. of Dursley, its post town, and 4 S. of the Frocester railway station. The village is situated among the hills, on the turnpike-road leading from Berkeley to Stroud and Cheltenham. There is an iron foundry. In the vicinity is Uley-Bury, a double-ditched camp of above 30 acres, where coins of Antonine and other Roman emperors have been discovered. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester, value £157. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, contains several monuments. There are day and Sunday schools for both sexes. The parochial charities produce about £8 yearly. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Baptists have chapels. A feast is held on the first Sunday in September."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Uley, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Uley from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Uley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Uley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST782985 (Lat/Lon: 51.685164, -2.316655), Uley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)