"UPLEADON, a parish in the hundred of Botloe, county Gloucester, 3 miles N.E. of Newent, its post town, and 8 N.W. of Gloucester. The village is situated on the river Leadon. There are some flour mills on the site where extensive iron forges were formerly worked. The soil consists of red loam. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £80, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a National school for both sexes. The Rev. R. Hodges, M.A., of Little Barrington, Oxfordshire, is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Upleadon, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Upleadon from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Upleadon to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Upleadon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO762266 (Lat/Lon: 51.937544, -2.347211), Upleadon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)