Hide

UPLEADON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"UPLEADON, a parish in the hundred of Botloe, county Gloucester, 3 miles N.E. of Newent, its post town, and 8 N.W. of Gloucester. The village is situated on the river Leadon. There are some flour mills on the site where extensive iron forges were formerly worked. The soil consists of red loam. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £80, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a National school for both sexes. The Rev. R. Hodges, M.A., of Little Barrington, Oxfordshire, is lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]