WESTBURY-ON-SEVERN, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"WESTBURY-ON-SEVERN, a parish in the hundred of Westbury, and Duchy of Lancaster, county Gloucester, 2 miles N.E. of Newnham. The village is situated on the river Severn, which is here crossed by a ferry to Framlode. The parish includes the hamlet of Rodley, and is the head of a Poor-law Union comprising 14 parishes, and the seat of a superintendent registry. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £270, in the patronage of the vicars-choral of Hereford Cathedral. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There is a chapel for Wesleyans and Young's school, with a small endowment. The parochial charities produce about £40 per annum."
"RODLEY, a tything in the parish of Westbury-on-Severn, county Gloucester, 3½ miles E. of Newnham. It is situated on the river Severn."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]