Westbury on Severn
"WESTBURY-ON-SEVERN, a parish in the hundred of Westbury, and Duchy of Lancaster, county Gloucester, 2 miles N.E. of Newnham. The village is situated on the river Severn, which is here crossed by a ferry to Framlode. The parish includes the hamlet of Rodley, and is the head of a Poor-law Union comprising 14 parishes, and the seat of a superintendent registry. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £270, in the patronage of the vicars-choral of Hereford Cathedral. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There is a chapel for Wesleyans and Young's school, with a small endowment. The parochial charities produce about £40 per annum."
"RODLEY, a tything in the parish of Westbury-on-Severn, county Gloucester, 3½ miles E. of Newnham. It is situated on the river Severn."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Westbury on Severn, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- Annotated Burials at Westbury on Severn 1889-1895, provided by Chris Newall. Added 16 Feb 2006.
- The transcription of the section for Westbury on Severn from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Westbury on Severn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Westbury on Severn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO723145 (Lat/Lon: 51.828871, -2.40373), Westbury on Severn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)