[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"YATE, a parish and township in the upper division of Henbury hundred, county Gloucester, 1 mile W. of Chipping-Sodbury, and 10 miles N.E. of Bristol. It is a station on the Birmingham, Gloucester, and Bristol section of the Midland railway. The village is situated on the river Frome, and has been made a polling-place for the western division of the county. The workhouse for the Poor-law Union of Chipping-Sodbury is situated here. The soil is mostly a red-coloured earth upon a substratum of clay and coal, of which there are some mines in operation. The Beaufort hounds meet here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £851. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains an antique font and an old brass in memory of A. Stapleton and wives, bearing date 1590. The charities produce about £38 per annum. There are National and British schools. The Rev. H. J. Randolph is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] Editor's Note:
|||I have been asked to draw readers' attention to the fact that the above surname of Stapleton is incorrect. The brass in question is a memorial to 'A. Staples', and is described in Arthur Mee's publication The King's England for Gloucestershire as follows:-|
"Alexander Staples, who was alive when Shakespeare was young, is shown (near the altar of the south chapel) in a brass with his two wives and 11 children, all small figures exquisitely gowned, with quaint expressions. The brass is one of the treasures of this most interesting church. It has a curious inscription in Latin which has been roughly translated as follows: "This stone guards the body of Alexander Staples. His spirit is concerned with heavenly things in the abode of the blessed. When at the last the trumpet shall sound tarantara, God will join his mortal limbs to his spirit again. He died on St Bernard's Day three hundred and eighteen lustres after Christ (1590). His sorrowing Elizabeth erected this monument to her husband as a token of a wife's devotion."
Confirmation that the surname is in fact 'Staples' is also provided in Monumental Brass Rubbings for England, Gloucestershire (pub.1938) - RRL 17 Dec 2004.
- Original source material relating to Yate, and other parishes in Diocese of Bristol may be found at the Bristol Record Office.
- The transcription of the section for Yate from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Yate to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Yate has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST716845 (Lat/Lon: 51.559109, -2.41094), Yate which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)