The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ABRAM, a township in the parish of Wigan, and hundred of West Derby, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles S.E. of Wigan. It is situated on the Leigh canal and the Newton railway. The population has been increasing of late years, and is chiefly employed in the collieries. The living is a curacy, value £120, in the diocese of Chester, and in the patronage of the rector."