The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ADLINGTON, a township in the parish of Standish, and hundred of Leyland, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles to the N. of Wigan. Chorley is the post town. It is near the Preston and Bolton railways, and the Leeds and Liverpool canal. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the rector of Standish. The chief occupation of the people is in the cotton factories. Adlington Hall, the old seat of the Adlingtons, has a pleasant prospect, and contains some valuable pictures."