1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"AINSWORTH, (or Cockey), a chapelry in the parish of Middleton, and hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 2 miles to the S. W. of Bury. Bolton is the post town. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £136, in the patronage of the rector. There is a small endowed school. The cotton manufacture forms the chief occupation of the people.