The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"AINTREE, a township in the parish of Sefton, and hundred of West Derby, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 6 miles to the N.E. of Liverpool. It is situated on the Leeds canal and the river Alt, and is a station on the Southport branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Chester. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a racecourse and large stand in the township."