The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ARDWICK, a chapelry in the parish of Manchester, in the county palatine of Lancaster, forming a constituent part of the town of Manchester. Ardwick station is the point at which the two great lines of railway, the Manchester and Birmingham, and the Manchester Sheffield, and Lincolnshire, unite. The river Medlock passes through the chapelry. Ardwick Green, which is about 2 miles from the Exchange, forms a pleasant approach to the town of Manchester. It is a kind of square, with an ornamental piece of water, lawns, shrubs, and walks. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £294, in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of the Collegiate Church of Manchester. The church is dedicated to St. Thomas. The cotton manufacture, and other departments of the general Manchester trade, form the staple occupation."