The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ASHTON, a township united with Stodday, in the parish of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles to the S. of Lancaster. It is situated on the Preston canal and the river Lune, and the Preston railway runs near it. Ashton Hall is the seat of the Duke of Hamilton. It is an ancient hall, standing in a fine park on the banks of the Lune, and having a prospect over Morecambe Bay. Ashton House is the seat of Sir J. Walmsley.
STODDAY, a hamlet in the parish of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county Lancaster, 2 miles S.W. of Lancaster. It is in conjunction with Ashton to form a township."