1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"AUDENSHAW, one of the four districts of the parish of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles to the S.W. of Ashton. Manchester is its post town. It comprises the hamlets of Hooleyhill, Walkmill, Littlemoss, Woodhouses, and North Street. The Ashton canal and the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway pass through Audenshaw. The population are engaged in the cotton and silk manufactures, calico-printing, machine-making, hat-making, &c. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, of the value of £150, in the patronage of the crown and the Bishop of Manchester."