The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BACUP, a chapelry in the parish of Whalley, higher division of Blackburn hundred in the county palatine of Lancaster, 6 miles to the N. of Rochdale. Manchester is its post town. It is connected with the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway by a short branch line from Ramsbottom Junction. The population are employed in the cotton and baize manufactures. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £250, in the patronage of Hulme's Trustees. There is also a district church called Christ Church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the patronage of the Rev. J. Heyworth."