The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BARDSEA, a chapelry and township in the parish of Urswick, hundred of Lonsdale, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 5 miles to the E. of Dalton. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £100, in the patronage of the Rev. T. E. Petty. It has a school, with an endowment of £8 a year, founded in 1781. The chief residence is Bardsea Hall."