The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BICKERSTAFFE, a township in the parish of Ormskirk, hundred of West Derby, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles to the S.E. of Ormskirk, its post town. The workpeople are chiefly employed in the neighbouring coal mines. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £150, in the patronage of the Earl of Derby. The township gives the title of baron to Lord Stanley of Bickerstaffe."