1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"BILLINGE, a parish in the hundred of West Derby, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 5 miles to the S.W. of Wigan, its post town, and 4 miles N. of St. Helen's. It comprises the township of Billings Chapel-End and the hamlet of Winstanley. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, of Winstanley. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, existed here in the time of Elizabeth, but this was pulled down in 1717, and the present one was erected on the site. There is a parochial school, with residence for the master and mistress. The Roman Catholics have a chapel and schools here. Winstanley Hall, the seat of Meyrich Banker, Esq., is a fine old mansion, erected in the 16th century. Billings Hill is a lofty eminence near the termination of the Yorkshire range, rising to the height of 593 feet, and commanding a very wide prospect, which includes the Ingleborough mountain in Yorkshire, and parts of Cumberland, Cheshire, and Wales."