The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BIRCH, an extensive village in the township of Rusholme, and the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles to the S. of Manchester, of which it forms a suburb. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, value £160, in the gift of Sir J. W. H. Anson, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. James. Birch Hall is the principal residence."