The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BIRKDALE, a township and chapelry in the parish of North Meols, hundred of West Derby, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 7 miles to the N.W. of Ormskirk. Southport is its post town. It is situated on the sea-coast, and is a station on the Liverpool and Southport railway The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £200, in the patronage of trustees. The church, which has been recently erected, is dedicated to St. James"