The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BISPHAM, a parish in the hundred of Amounderness, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 18 miles to the N.W. of Preston, its post town. It is situated on the coast of the Irish Sea, and contains the townships of Bispham-with-Norbreek and Layton-with-Warbrick, and the chapelries of Blackpool and Southshore. The Preston and Wyre branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway passes near it, with which Blackpool is connected by a short line from Poulton Junction. A now line direct to Lytham has also lately been completed, and a handsome pier is in course of construction. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester, of the value of £235, in the patronage of the Rev. C. Hesketh. The church is of modern erection. There is a free school, founded in 1659 by Richard Higginson, with an income from endowment of £70 per annum."