Hide

Blackburn Hundred

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"BLACKBURN HUNDRED, one of the six hundreds or subdivisions of the county palatine of Lancaster, situated in the northern division of the county, and bounded on the N. and E. by Yorkshire, on the S. by the hundreds of Salford and Leyland, and on the W. by the hundred of Amounderness. It is in two divisions, upper and lower, the former containing parts of the parishes of Bury and Whalley, including the towns of Burnley, Clitheroe, Colne, Habergham-Eaves, Newchurch, &c.; and the latter containing the parishes of Blackburn and Chipping, with parts of Milton, Ribchester, and Whalley, and the town of Haslingden. The entire hundred comprises an area of 175,500 acres."