The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BLACKLEY, (or Blakeley), a chapelry in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles to the N. of Manchester, its post town. The workpeople are principally employed in the various branches of the cotton manufacture. The living is a rectory A in the diocese of Manchester, of the value of £150, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Manchester. The church, which was anciently a private chapel belonging to Blackley Hall, is dedicated to St. Peter. The Wesleyans and Unitarians have chapels in the town, and there is a school with a small endowment. Annual races take place here in the month of August.