The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BOLTON-LE-SANDS, a parish in the hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles to the N. of Lancaster, its post town. It is situated near the coast of Morecambe Bay, and is a station on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway. The parish includes the chapelry of Over Kellet, and the townships of Nether Kellet and Slyne-with-Hest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester, of the value of £189, in the patronage of the bishop. Here is a free grammar school, founded by Thomas Asheton in 1619, and endowed with £26 per annum. There are some other charities producing about £100 a year."