The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BOTTON, a hamlet in the parish of Melling, and hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, in the county of Lancaster, 10 miles N.E. of Lancaster. It is situated near the river Hindburn and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the silk mills and nail manufacture."