The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BROUGHTON, a chapelry in the parish of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles to the N. of Preston. It is a station on the Lancaster and Preston Junction railway. Dorton is a hamlet of this parish. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £106, in the patronage of Hulme's Trustees. Here is an endowed free school with a revenue of £130 per annum, the produce of several ancient bequests, and some minor charities worth about £14 a year."