The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BURTON WOOD, a chapelry in the parish of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles to the N.W. of Warrington, its post town. The Liverpool and Manchester railway passes near it. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, worth £96, in the gift of the Rector of Warrington. There is an endowed school with an income of £12 a year."