The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CASTLETON, a township in the parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford; in the county palatine of Lancaster, 1 mile from Rochdale. It forms part of the south-eastern suburbs, and includes the hamlets of Buersill and Marland., Here was formerly a castle of very ancient date, some vestiges of which still remain. The gas and water-works are situated in this township. The Rochdale canal passes near Castleton. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the cotton and woollen manufactories."