The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CHATBURN, a township and chapelry in the parish of Whalley, in the higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, in the county of Lancaster, 2 miles E. of Clitheroe. It is a station on the western division of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The township, which is united with that of Worston, is watered by the river Ribble. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £165, in the patronage of Hulme's Trustees. The church, dedicated to Christ, is a stone edifice in the Romanesque style of architecture. Here are National schools for both sexes. There are extensive lime-works in the vicinity. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor:"