The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CHIPPING, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, in the county of Lancaster, 5 miles from Longridge, 8½ E. of the Garstang railway station, and 12 N.E. of Preston. It is situated on a branch of the river Hodder, and contains the townships of Chipping and Thornley with Wheatley. In this village is an iron foundry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester, value £120, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a stone edifice, with tower and a peal of six bells. The register commences in the year 1550. Here is a Roman Catholic chapel and school. A free school for the education of 24 boys stands in the village, which was endowed, in 1684, by John Brabbin; over the school door is inscribed, "Dote, Disce, vol Discede.""