Chorlton cum Hardy
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CHORLTON-CUM-HARDY, a chapelry in the parish of Manchester, in the hundred of Salford, in the county of Lancaster, 4 miles S.W. of Manchester. It is pleasantly situated about a mile from the river Mersey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, value £103, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Clement, is a brick edifice. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, erected in 1827. The chief employment of the inhabitants is market-gardening. The charities produce about £8 per annum."