The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CLAIFE, a township in the parish of Hawkshead, in the hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, in the county of Lancaster, 2 miles S.E. of Hawkshead. It is situated between Esthwaite Water and the ferry over Lake Windermere to Bowness. At the village of Low Wray there is a church in the Gothic style, erected in 1856 by James Dawson. At High Wray divine service is performed in the schoolhouse every Sunday afternoon; and at Colthouse the Society of Friends have a meetinghouse. Overlooking the Windermere Lake and hills is an edifice called the Station, which commands some delightful scenery. The Station possesses several stained-glass windows, which consist of views of the surrounding scenery as they appear in the various seasons."