The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CLAUGHTON, a township in the parish of Garstang, in the hundred of Amounderness, in the county of Lancaster, 3 miles S.E. of Garstang. It is intersected by the Preston and Lancaster road, and the Lancaster and Carlisle railway. Hero the Roman Catholics have a chapel dedicated to St. Thomas, and a school. The lord of the manor is T. F. Brockholes, Esq. Claughton Hall is a fine building beautifully situated in extensive pleasure grounds."