The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"COLTON, (or Coulton), a parish in the hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, in the county of Lancaster, 6 miles N.W. of Ulverston, and 21 S.W. of Kendal. It is situated near the rivers Leven and Crake, and contains the chapelries of Rusland, Finsthwaite, and Haverthwaite. In the vicinity are the beautiful lakes of Windermere and Coniston, which may be seen to great advantage from many points in this parish. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cotton and wood trades, and in agriculture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £110, in the patronage of certain landowners. The parish church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a plain stone structure. There are the following district churches in this parish: Finsthwaite, a perpetual curacy, value £76, in the patronage of the landowners; Haverthwaite, a perpetual curacy, value £127, in the patronage of the Incumbent of Colton and the bishop alternately; and Rusland, a perpetual curacy, value £64, in the patronage of the Incumbent of Colton. The charities amount to £81 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel at Tottlebank. There are two endowed schools called Sandys' and Dixon's schools, besides parochial and Sunday schools. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor.