The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CHURCH CONISTON, a township and chapelry in the parish of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, in the county of Lancaster, 4 miles W. of Hawkshead, and 14 from Ulverston. It is delightfully situated near the head of Coniston Lake, and is the terminus of the branch line which leaves the London and North-Western railway at Carnforth. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £133, in the patronage of the Rev. A. Peache. The church is a neat edifice, and was rebuilt in 1819. The Baptists have a place of worship. There are parochial and infant schools; also reading room, and public library. The greater part of the inhabitants are employed in the extensive copper-mines and slate-quarries here. Near the lake of Coniston is a mountain known as Coniston Old Man, which is 2,600 feet above the level of the sea; from its summit the beautiful vales of Tilberthwaite and Yewdale are seen to perfection. On the borders of the lake stands Coniston Hall, an antique edifice, now used as a farmhouse. An annual cattle fair is held on the third Saturday in the month of September. The lord of the manor is Major-General E. Fleming."