The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"COPPULL, a chapelry in the parish of Standish, hundred of Leyland, in the county of Lancaster, 4 miles S.W. of Chorley, and 5 from Wigan: It is a station on the Manchester and Preston section of the London and North Western railway. Near the village are extensive collieries and bleach-fields. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £120, in the patronage of the Rector of Standish. The church is a plain structure. The charities amount to £34 per annum. Here are a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, a National school for both sexes, and a Sunday school. The Right Hon. E. Cardwell is lord of the manor."