The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"DEANE, a parish in the hundred of Salford, in the county of Lancaster, 2 miles S.W. of Great Bolton. It is situated in the midst of an extensive manufacturing district, and contains Haliwell, Little Hulton, Smithills Chapel, Westhoughton, Horwich, Farnworth, and five other townships, several of which have their own churches and schools. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the large cotton establishments and in the bleach grounds. The collieries are also extensively worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester, value £213, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has recently been enlarged. The charities amount to £510 per annum. There are National and, endowed schools. George Marsh, the Protestant martyr, was a native of this place."