1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"DENTON, a chapelry in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, in the county of Lancaster, 3½ miles S.W. of Ashton-under-Lyne, and 4 N.E. of Stockport. It is situated W. of the river Tame, and is a station on the Stockport and Staleybridge branch of the Manchester and Leeds railway. The chief business of the inhabitants is hat-making. There are extensive coal-mines. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £135, in the patronage of the Marquis of Westminster. The church is dedicated to St. James. There is another church called Christ Church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £130, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Denton Hall, once the family seat of the Hollands, is now a farm."