The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"DOWNHAM, a township in the parish of Whalley, upper division of the hundred of Blackburn, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 2 miles S.E. of Chatburn station on the Lancashire and West Yorkshire railway, and 3 N.E. of Clitheroe. The inhabitants are employed in cotton spinning and in agriculture. Limestone and grit-stone are quarried. In the former are many curious fossils. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £129, in the patronage of Hulme's Trustees. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a stone structure in the early English style of architecture. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school with an endowment of £25 per annum, the bequest of Ralph Assheton. The charities produce about £11 per annum. William Assheton, Esq., is lord of the manor."