The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"DUTTON, a township in the parish of Ribchester, lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles N.W. of the Longridge station on the Fleetwood and Preston railway, and 7 N.W. of Blackburn, its post town. It is situated on the river Ribble. John and James Fenton, Esqs., are lords of the manor. Dutton Hall is half a mile from the village."