The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ECCLESTON, a parish in the hundred of Leyland, county palatine of Lancaster, 5 miles W. of Chorley, its post town, 2 S.E. of the Creston station on the East Lancashire line, and 3 S.W. of Euxton station on the London and North-Western railway. It is situated on the river Yarrow, and the Leeds canal passes through the parish. The townships of Heskin, Parbold, and Wrightington, and the hamlets of Highmoor, Fairhurst, Mossey Lee, and Dangerous Corner are included in it. The collieries and quarries, which are extensively worked, give employment to many of the people. There is also a cotton factory, and some hands are employed in the hand-loom weaving. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, value £965. The parish church is an ancient stone structure, with a handsome stained-glass window. It is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains an effigy in brass, a Gothic altar tomb, and many interesting monuments. There are also the following district churches:-Douglas, perpetual curacy, value £134, in the patronage of the rector; Wrightington, perpetual curacy in the patronage of the rector. The parochial charities produce about £50 per annum. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There is a free grammar school, and a National school for both sexes. Charles Scarisbrick, Esq., is lord of the manor."