The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ECCLESTON, a township in the parish of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, county palatine of Lancaster, half a mile N.E. of Prescot, its post town, and 1½ mile N. of the St. Helen's station on the London and North-Western railway. It contains the villages and hamlets of Lane End, Thattow Heath, and Giller's Green. There are several collieries and quarries. The principal manufactures are glass and earthenware, also watch movements, tools, frames, and tobacco-pipes. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £110. Christ Church is a modern stone edifice, with spire and porch. It has two stained-glass windows, and two monumental marble tablets. The Roman Catholics and Wesleyans have each a chapel. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Wesleyan day school, and Sunday-schools. The principal residence is Eccleston Hall. S. Taylor, Esq., is lord of the manor."