The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"EDGEHILL, a chapelry in the parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, hundred of West Derby, county palatine of Lancaster. It is within the limits of the borough of Liverpool, about 1 mile to the S.E., and forms a pleasant suburb, including the Liverpool Botanic Garden. At this point the Manchester railway branches off into two long tunnels, which lead to different stations in the town. One of these tunnels, at Lime-street, is 2,000 yards long; another, passing under Crown-street, 2,216 yards in length. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £250. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern building. The Baptists have a chapel, and there is a National school."