The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"EGTON-CUM-NEWLAND, a township and chapelry in the parish of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles N. of Ulverston. It is situated near the river Leven, and includes the villages of Arrad Foot, Green Odd, Penny Bridge, and Spark Bridge. Here are iron-works and foundry, also a cotton mill, bobbin turnery, steam saw-mills, and timber yards. Coals are brought by water to Green Odd, between which place and Liverpool goods are conveyed by small sailing vessels. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £92. The church is a plain structure of rough stone, built in the latter part of the last century. It is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a National school for both sexes, with a small endowment; also a Sunday-school. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor."